Search This Blog

Friday, August 21, 2015

New Henrik Lundqvist Swedish Video Interview UPDATED with translation

ShareThis





UPDATED with translation: 

The queue was already long before "Henke" (as he is called in Sweden) arrived at the Swedish Brand Store Nordiska Kompaniet (NK) in Gothenburg. He is a star wherever he finds himself in the world. Hockeyhörnan (Hockeycorner) met him and it was primarily about his life outside the rink.

Reporter:
Henrik earlier this week I saw you in Frölundaborg (Frölunda Indians practice rink in Gothenburg) when you had one of your training sessions now you are here at NK in Gothenburg, tell me what you are doing here?

Henrik:
I started a collaboration with Bread And Boxers a couple of years ago. I work with....yea like today when we are releasing some loungewear we also have t-shirts, underwear and basic clothing which are very simple, something you use everyday. The guys that started Bread And Boxers but also I feel that clean and simple is what works in the end and also the comfort. Of course I have been interested for quite some time in fashion but maybe a little more "dressed". But then I talked with my friend Alex at Bread And Boxers to help them introduce these things to the market. Right now it's more about watch and learn for me.

Reporter:
How much are you involved in this? Are you into designing the clothing? I guess that you can't keep your fingers away a little bit considering your interest into fashion?

Henrik:
No of course I am in on this and tell them what I think about it and especially now when we are about to introduce this to the American Market for real it's good to have connections and a "face" already out there. We have a good team when it comes to design and comfort etc. We sometimes have different opinions but we take the best options and put them altogether and it turns out well.

Reporter:
Does it take time from the hockey or do you feel that you can focus on what is important for you for atleast a couple of more years?

Henrik:
That's exactly the thing, during summer there is time for this. During winter there is no time to do this, then its all about the hockey, the things outside the rinks with the Rangers organization and my family. But it is perfect to be here during the summers and have a project like this to work on.

The summer is almost over so I am starting to focus more and training on the ice now a couple of days a week so that when I soon go back to New York I will be prepared for the upcoming season.

Reporter:
Do you see a future inside this bransch?....You have many years left with your new contract now but do you have any other thoughts on what to do after retiring from hockey? Is it projects like this that you feel that you want to do in your "after-life"?

Henrik:
I have so many doors open regarding what to do after retiring, I have gotten that question asked so many times "where will you go?" The hockey has been such a huge part of my life since I was 6-7 years old it has been a lot of focus on hockey and sports. But the last years I have gotten interested into other things as well and I have different projects in New York and Sweden. I think it's good for me as a professional athlete to get this balance in life with not to much and not to little.

Reporter:
You are home during the summers when the NHL season is not active but you have now been in New York for 10 years. What do you feel like today?

Henrik:
I dont know, I have spent much time scattered over Sweden, I grew up in Åre in the North and then moved to Gothenburg and lived here for some time. But a major part of my "grown-up-life" has been in New York and that is were I live and work. It's "fifty-fifty".

Reporter:
Nationalitywise do you think and act more like an american today? ... Maybe that's a question more suitable to your relatives but what do you think?

Henrik:
Of course you become a bit "Americanized", perhaps many things you took for granted when you lived in Sweden but now you see them different when you live in the US. But I am also proud of being a Swede with all the things our little country has managed to contribute to the world wether its products like cars, furniture or hockey players. It is fun to be able to say that you are from Sweden. Swedes have a good reputation abroad so that is fun to bring with you when you move. You never thought of it that way when you lived in Sweden.

Reporter:
Where will you and Therese live after retirement from Hockey? Maybe that's a tough question?

Henrik:
Yeah that's a hard one. There is so much that can happen. I don't know how long I will continue and then the kids, we have to see how old they are, the situation with schools etc. We will see.

Reporter:
Here at NK today there is people to see you. Females are looking at you and men wants to have your autograph. How do you handle it as a person? Is it hard to remain with your feet on the ground?

Henrik:
You have to take it for what it is, there are a load of hockey fans and ofcourse it's fun when people show appreciation for what you do but it also goes over fast when you stop playing well or do something else people move on so it just feels good to have support from people and especially the one close to me but also when you are out on the streets and people come up to me.

Reporter:
How is it today with Gothenburg vs. New York regarding walking on the streets, I understand it's fun that people show appreciation but there must be a limit right if you want to feel like a normal person in private?

Henrik:
It's not bad that people show appreciation, of course when I am out at a restaurant with my family for dinner you want to try to be there in private but then I remember how it was when I was a little kid and you saw a famous person and you wanted an autograph or shake hand or whatever even though I myself was to shy to go up and ask for it. I was more of the person who watched for a while and then walked on. So that's like it is, you have to see it as something positive that people are positive. :)


A huge thank you goes to reader, Edward K. for translating this interview for us. 





No comments:

Post a Comment